Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Test Taking

In college there are always tests to be taken, and if you are taking many classes it can be hard to study for all of the tests. Today I had three tests to take and had to study the material in each class. After taking the tests I realized how hard it was and thought that I would try to find test taking strategies to help me better prepare for finals. I came across several websites, which emphasized that it is not a good idea to cram. I personally try to study for a week before the exams; however when you have to take several tests in one day you sort of have to cram. Here are some test taking strategies that I found:

Plan reviews as part of your regularly weekly study schedule; consequently, you review over the whole quarter rather than just at exam time.

Reviews are much more than reading and rereading all assignments. You need to read over your lecture notes and ask yourself questions on the material you don't know well.

Review for several short periods rather than one long period. You will find that you retain information better and get less fatigued.

Turn the main points of each topic or heading into questions and check to see if the answers come to you quickly and correctly. Try to predict examination questions; then outline your answers.

It may seem "old-fashioned", but flashcards may be a helpful way to review in courses that have many unfamiliar terms. Review the card in random order using only those terms that you have difficulty remembering.

I found this information at:
(http://www.d.umn.edu/kmc/student/loon/acad/strat/test_take.html)

I think that these kind of test taking skills are usefull and I am definitely going to use them for future tests!

No comments: